What documents do I need to apply for a NIF?
You will need the following documents in order to complete our order form:
1. Copy of Passport*
A high-quality, scanned image or photo of your passport. *EU Citizens can use their National ID Card. Photos of both sides of the ID must be provided.
- Text is legible
- No shadows
- No light reflections
- Must be valid (i.e not expired)
- Signature is fully visible
- All four corners of the document are visible
2. Proof of address
A document that serves as proof of your residential address outside of Portugal. – "What can I use as Proof of Address?"
3. Requesting a NIF for a minor under the age of 18?
- Birth certificate or Adoption certificate of minor
- Copy of first parent's passport
- Copy of second parent's passport
4. Were you born in Portugal or hold Portuguese citizenship?
If you hold Portuguese citizenship, you will need to provide a copy of your Portugal-issued birth certificate. If you do not have one, you can order one here - https://www.bordr.io/birth-certificate.
If you are a Portuguese citizen born outside of Portugal, you can provide your Cartão de Cidadão instead of a Portuguese birth certificate. If you'd like to do this, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.