I'm moving to Portugal on the D7 visa, when should I apply for NHR?
If you are moving to Portugal on the D7 visa, you will need to wait until you receive your temporary residence card before you can apply for NHR.
You will become a Portuguese tax resident when you receive your temporary residence card. After you receive your temporary residence card, you should update your NIF with your Portugal address as soon as possible. From that date, you will have until March 31 of the following year to apply for NHR.
Here's the order of events:
- Apply for Portugal D7 visa
- Get visa approval
- Move to Portugal
- Attend AIMA (formerly SEF) appointment
- Receive temporary residence card
- Update your NIF with your Portuguese address - see our guide
- Apply for NHR - see our guide
Learn more about Portugal's NHR tax regime with expert guidance from a Portuguese tax lawyer.