What documents can I use as proof of residence in Portugal?

It's important to understand that every Portuguese tax office has a slightly different process. When you request to remove our lawyer as your Fiscal Representative, you will need to provide valid proof of your residence in Portugal.

Non-EU citizens
The most widely accepted document is your Portugal residence permit, also known as the "Título de residência". For most of our customers, this is the simplest proof of address that you can provide to the Portugal tax office.
Alternatively, if you have not received your temporary residence permit yet, you may also submit either of the following documents to change your address:
  • Expression of Interest (Manifestação de Interesse) - you can find more information here, or
  • Confirmation of SEF appointment (email or letter from SEF confirming that you have an appointment scheduled to submit your application of temporary residence)
  • Receipt issued by SEF on the day of your appointment confirming that your residency request was made and is being processed
Suppose that the document you submitted doesn't show your Portuguese address; you will need to submit an "Atestado de residência" (Certificate of Residence) issued by your Junta de Freguesia (Local Parish) as a supporting document.
Citizens of EU/EEA/Switzerland
You may submit a copy of your Registration Certificate for Citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland, also known as the Certificado de Registo para cidadão da UE/EEE/Suíça issued by SEF. This document formalizes your right of residence in Portugal as an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us